Software Protection and Licensing
The Open Test Framework is equipped with a licensing system. The system provides an optimal compromise of safety and user comfort, it can be adapted to different requirements flexibly and it provides a high transparency for the customers.
In the following sections, the structure and use of the licensing system are described.
Licensing - What for?
Software is the intellectual property of the person or company that created them. Intellectual property is the copyright protected by law. For legal use of the software, a grant of right to use from the author is required. This is done in the license form. For any program that is used, a license is required. Therefore with a software license, you have the right to use a program under the conditions of the license agreement, see our general business terms and contract conditions for the assignment and maintenance of standard software.
The licensing system is Web-based. This means licensing data is located on a Web server, the so-called licensing server. The OTF connects with the licensing server at the following points of times:
- Activation phase
- Deactivation phase
- The first start of the development- or runtime- environment per day (License Check).
|Please note that the license check may take several seconds to complete and it is performed only with an existing Internet connection.|
License relevant information is exchanged when querying, see transferred license information. The amount of information depends on the type of the purchased license and the program mode.
We distinguish the following two program modes as below:
The development license is required for working with the development environment of the OTF. Without activated development license, the OTF shall not run!
|Please note that a development license is also required for an evaluation version! Please contact to us, see contact emotive.|
|Please note that a re-activation may be required for a license upgrade. This can be realized when a new license ID was sent to you.|
A development license can be activated on a computer any number of times (for example, due to changing of the hard drive) or deactivated (for example, to transfer the license to another computer). If the license is used on more than one computer, a further development license is necessary, see terms and conditions for the transfer and maintenance of standard software.
Within the development version, there are three distinct license types as follows:
- Evaluation version
- An evaluation version is limited to 30 days duration of full version.
- An evaluation version can be converted to a full version.
- With runtime versions of an evaluation version, the start of a workflow generates a dialog box which must be clicked away.
- Full version
- A full version is executable unlimitedly in the respective scope of license (Edition).
- A full version can be upgraded within the different editions.
- With runtime versions of a full version, it is executable unlimitedly with no restrictions.
The runtime license is required for working with the OTF runtime environment. A runtime license does not have to be activated, it is always executable with the system prerequisites. The licensing doesn't restrict a runtime version. There is no license validation.
|Please note that the runtime version, without a license validation, is still under our business terms- contract conditions for the transfer and maintenance of standard software and the license fees of a runtime version of the OTF and possibly diagnostic runtime system is incurred, see price list. The validation of the run-time license was omitted due to the required high availability of production.|
A development license is generated by emotive and have to be activated at the target computer. Without a valid activation the OTF cannot be started. The user receives the license code inside the license portal. The license code consists of the license ID (left part) and the password (right part).
|The license ID is public and the password is confidential.|
Activate the OTF by the following steps. It is assumed that the OTF is already installed at the target computer, see Installation.
- Start the OTF.
- If the OTF has not yet been activated a licensing window appears.
- Please enter in the first field your license ID and the second field your password.
- If your computer is connected to the Internet just press the activate button. The activation process can take some time. After successful activation the license window disappears and the current license data are shown.
- If you are using a computer which is not connected to the Internet, deselect the corresponding check box and press the activate button. Another window opens which guides you through the manual activation.
- Activation is complete.
|You can manually activate your license via our License Portal.|
An activated development license can be deactivated on the target computer. There may be the following reasons for a deactivation:
- Transfer the license to another computer
- For this purpose, the license on the old computer must be turned off and activate on the new, see activation.
- Return the license
- This is necessary for such as license upgrades or for evaluation versions that are not converted to a full version.
For the deactivation is license ID and password required. Run with these data, the deactivation in the following steps:
- Start of OTF.
- Go to the tab "File" of the Ribbon and click on "License..." entry. This will open the licensing window.
- In the first box, type your license ID and in the second box, your password (The original data was sent to you in advance by e-mail).
- If you use the computer connected to the Internet, you now press the button Deactivate. The deactivation process may take some time to complete. For a successful deactivation, the license window disappears and the current license data appears in the About box.
- Complete deactivation.
Transferred license information
For licensing, some data must be exchanged with the licensing server. Thereby, no relevant data of data privacy is transferred. Hereinafter all transmitted data are described below:
|License code||PC||○||○||●||●||●||The license code identifies the license clearly. It consists of the license ID and a password.|
|Computer ID||PC||○||○||●||●||●||A neutralized number that uniquely identifies the PC|
|Session ID||PC||○||○||●||●||A random number.|
|Product ID||PC||○||●||The Product ID identifies the software product unique.|
|License matrix||Server||○||●||●||The bit-matrix for activating edition and modules.|
|Licensee||Server||○||●||●||The name and surname as well as the company name of customer.|
|Server time||Server||○||●||●||The time on the server for uniform time base.|
|Version number||Server||○||●||●||The major version number of the product, up to that the license is valid.|
|Expiration date||Server||○||●||●||The expiration date (for rent version).|
Legend: V = Development environment, R = Run time environment, A = Activation, D = Deactivation, L = License check